I have a theory as to why Idol is so lame this year.Â Thereâ€™s a reason why there are only a handful of true music superstars.Â As simplistic as it may sound, itâ€™s because thatâ€™s all there is.Â There is only one Celine Dion.Â There's only one Billy Joel.Â Thereâ€™s only one U2.Â Thereâ€™s a couple of Kelly Clarksons and maybe a couple of Carrie Underwoods, but thatâ€™s it.Â Sure, there are talented people in the world. Â Itâ€™s intriguing to believe that there is an endless supply of Susan Boyles out there just waiting to be discovered.Â But the truth is superstar talent is rare.Â So, after 8 consecutive seasons I believe that the sea of superstar talent in the US has been fished dry--for now anyway.Â Â Â
Last night the women brought us another pedestrian show as a couple of contestants walked through their performances.Â
- Crystal Bowersoxâ€”Continues to be the class act of this show.
- Siobhan Magnusâ€”Weird duck though she may be, sheâ€™s the best singer in the competition.
- Katie Stevensâ€”Previously one of my favorites, but she has faltered in the last few weeks.Â I thought Kelly Clarksonâ€™s â€śRunawayâ€ť would be right in her wheelhouse, but au contraire.Â Yawn.
- Katelyn Epperleyâ€”Talkinâ€™ about a walk-through.Â If she was feeling anything on â€śI Feel The Earth Moveâ€ť you certainly couldnâ€™t tell.
DONâ€™T KNOW WHAT TO THINK
- Lacey Brownâ€”This was Laceyâ€™s first truly good performance since she got to the Top 24.Â Her problem is that the only style she seems able to do competently is â€śSixpence None The Richer.â€ťÂ I donâ€™t think thatâ€™s going to get her much farther.
- Didi Benamiâ€”See Lacey Brown.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Lilly Coxâ€”Her performance of â€śI Fall To Piecesâ€ť was spotty, and I really didnâ€™t like it.Â Donâ€™t know what the public at large will think, but at least sheâ€™s taking risks.
- Paige Milesâ€”In our in-office pool that started when the Top 24 were announced, I picked Paige to win the whole thing.Â Her earliest performances displayed powerful vocals and a comfortable stage presence.Â But the last two weeks did her in.Â Last nightâ€™s version of Charlie Chaplinâ€™s â€śSmileâ€ť was BRUTAL.
- Katie, Katelyn, or Lillyâ€”I guess picking three is a little bit of a cop-out, but they each have their strong points.Â Katie and Katelyn could survive because theyâ€™re both adorable.Â Lilly comes off as a little kooky, so that may not help her even though her performance was better than the other two.